MBBS IN USA
USA is the acronym for United States of America, a country in North America which is formed of 50 states, 5 self-governing territories, 1 Federal district and other islands. USA is a First world country with a population 32.95 crores (approx.). Washington D.C. is the capital city of the country and its currency is USD or United States Dollar. The literacy rate in the country is an average 88% which makes it a good destination for pursuing higher studies.
As USA is a vast country in terms of land it has diverse culture, climate, habitat and wild life. USA is well developed country so its standard of living is very high. Its climatic condition is a combination of dry, humid and hot.
Study MBBS in USA
USA being a well-developed country focuses on every sector for fulfilling the needs of its people but its special focus remain on the education sector. So, they offer many courses to students from different countries with best quality education and facilities. One of the most popular courses that attract students to USA is MBBS.
The MBBS degree in USA is known as MD or Doctor of Medicine and is approved by WHO, MCI, MCC and ECFMG. Indian students who study MBBS from USA don’t have to give an exam to start practice in India.
Why choose MBBS in USA?
- USA provides excellent quality education especially in the field of medical sciences.
- The MBBS colleges in USA provide not only the best education but also the best facilities with it.
- The colleges are very well reputed all around the globe.
- Due to its education standards the doctors from US are highly respected and are also very well in demand for guidance all around the world.
- Colleges in USA don’t charge any additional capitation charges other than course fees.
- After completing MBBS course from US Indian students do not have to give NMC screening test to start their practice.
- Students pursuing MBBS from top Medical colleges are offered stipend from the beginning of the course in USA.
- The students can also do part time job along with their MBBS in USA.
Eligibility for Indian students in USA
USA is a dream destination for the medical students but only a few are eligible to pursue the MBBS degree from there. The eligibility criteria are as follows:-
- A student must score a minimum of 50% marks in 10+2 exams from Indian central board or any recognized State board with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as mandatory subjects.
- Any student below 50% marks seeking admission must clear the Entrance exam.
- Students who did not have Physics, Chemistry and Biology in 12th standard have to attend a pre medical year before the main course.
- Students need to clear NEET exam with good marks.
- Students are also required to score good marks in IELTS or TOEFL to prove their proficiency in English language.
How can you get admission to USA?
The process of admission in US is almost similar for all the colleges:-
- Search for the medical colleges allowing intake of international students keeping in mind all the factors that suit them.
- Students must appear for the MCAT entrance exam for admission in USA. It is a computer based exam which test a student’s reasoning, science and writing skills with unlimited attempts but held only thrice a year. Its duration is 4-5 hours.
- After clearing MCAT students can fill in the forms of different colleges with all the valid details. Students are recommended to fill the forms through AMCAS or American Medical College Application Service.
- Once selected students have to attach the Letter of Recommendation from the college along with other legal documents.
Required documents for MBBS admission in USA
There are too many documents that are required for admission in USA:-
- Transcripts of previous academic education.
- Mark sheets proving the eligibility scores in 10+2.
- English Proficiency Test Certificate
- Student Visa
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Documents proving the criminal background check of the applicant
- Passport size photographs
The course duration is 4 years and the US medical council offers 3-7 years of residency to Indian students after graduation.
Food and Accommodation
After a student has successfully applied to one of the colleges you have to search for accommodation. There are two types of accommodations-
- On- campus accommodations- this is the one that the college provides with an additional charge which is usually very high which includes a room, food, laundry etc.
- Off- campus accommodations- This is comparatively a affordable option where students have to search for a rental house and other facilities.
Scholarship offered to Indian students
Students who achieve a certain percentage of marks can apply for Government Funded scholarships to study MBBS in USA.
Steps to apply for USA student’s visa
USA is a big nation so, students have to apply for F-1 student visa which has a number of steps involved:-
- Apply to a medical college in USA and get accepted by it.
- After the college has approved your application it sends I-20 form or DS-2019 form which has all the details necessary for you need during this process.
- After you receive this form you need to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee and print out the pay slip.
- The next step is to visit the nearest US Embassy or Consulate to apply for the visa with all the necessary documents.
- After the application of visa you have to complete Form DS-160 online.
- After you have submitted the form you need to contact the US Embassy to schedule your interview.
- Next you need to pay an application fee of 160 USD.
- What’s left is attending your visa interview but do not forget to take all the necessary legal documents with you.
- In some nations students have to pay Visa Issuance fee which is to be paid after you have given the interview.
- After all the steps are complete the US Embassy will issue a new visa and return your passport to you.
Comparison between MBBS in USA and MBBS in India
The MBBS program in USA is very well qualified all around the world so the students graduating have a demand and scope in almost all the countries. The standard of education and facilities is very high in USA. The cost of the MBBS course in USA is also very expensive compared to what it is in India.
Top MBBS Universities In USA
|New York Medical College
|Temple University, School of Medicine
|University of California
|Mayo Medical School
|Wayne State University
|American University of Saint Vincent
|American University of Saint Vincent Kingstown
|State University of New York
|Case Western Reserve University